Friday, June 06, 2008

It's a bit like Dating.

I've spoken with two recruiters since I started my job search 6 weeks ago. The first person was a lady who was very chatty and encouraging ... promising to call me for interviews and projects down the road and what not.. I believed her.. and even though I didn't really want to work for the company she was representing, I thought she'd call because she said she'd call. Right? Wrong! She never called.

Yesterday I spoke to a really nice recruiter. I was so nervous about being interviewed after such a long time, that I actually had butterflies in my stomach. He was really cool and sounded very impressed by my background and potential and said how high my market value would be had I stayed in the corporate world. He even went off the record and told me how to modify my resume a bit so that the job would be mine. We got to the point of setting a billing rate... and then in the end he volunteered to make the edits to my resume himself and send it to me by the end of the day!!!! I was over the moon. I couldn't believe my good fortune. All evening I nervously checked my email and voicemail. But there was nothing!

I'm quickly learning that this is much like dating. "I'll call you" doesn't mean they will...

No comments: