Monday, June 23, 2008

Are you Linked In?

Linked In - a professional networking application has now become my new favorite website. Years ago, a good friend, (to whom my post involving Calvin and Hobbes is dedicated), sent me an invitation to join. Back then I pooh-poohed it. I thought signing up would be a colossal waste of my time. Then others started sending invitations to other networking applications. My theory was validated further. What was I supposed to do? Join 6 different websites just to make my friends happy?

In April of this year, I decided that it was time to go back to work. But where was I to start? I had no network here in Dallas. My last job was in San Diego. And my entire collection of friends, colleagues and bosses were all in the Boston area. That's when I decided to give Linked in a shot. And it hasn't let me down! Through it I have reconnected with so many of my former colleagues and managers. Friends too.

I currently have 38 contacts in my direct network. And I am obsessed with growing it daily!

Linked In is a great way to get introduced to people too. Thanks to a former manager, I was able to get in touch with a recruiter here in the Dallas area.

No comments: