Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Mama wants her 50 cents!

These days I feel like my Dad. In '91 when we moved to the US, we were a family of three in need of income. I was a full time college student with 20 hours of allowed income per week. This didn't go very far... Dad had to get back into the workforce. But how? As what? His context had changed. In India - he was a big shot. He'd run his own business for 20 years, was a national award winning electrical engineer and was a highly respected professional in his world. If he were job-hunting there he would've been snatched up by some awesome company in a day. But here he was in America, where electrical engineers have to fulfill different criteria, no current work experience no network. And a family he wanted to take care of.
I feel like Dad these days. And so many of his teachings are coming back to me. Like the "Mama wants her 50 cents" story. Told to me when I was 10. Still the foundation of my belief system at age 36. Here's a link to the original story from Napoleon Hill's "Think and Grow Rich".
If he could reinvent himself at age 50, I'm pretty sure I can find the rest of my career after a 2 year break! :-)

No comments: