Saturday, July 05, 2008

The right job

I have learned that when you are interviewing for the right job for you (and there can be more than one), the right interviewers accept you for who you are. Strengths. Weaknesses. The whole package. I've had phone interviews where the interviewer has seen the gap in my career or the one year I spent teaching Math as a big problem. I've heard the hesitation in their voice as they try to assess my "market-worthiness".

But - at the right places, and I've run into 3 so far, aside from a quick question of why I'm looking for a job, which warrants the answer that I've taken two years off since my son was born, the question never came up again. The interviewers have focused on the skills that I have and been truly impressed with my diverse work experience and have actually seen that as a thing of value. These calls have turned into amazing face-to-face interviews. And even into job offers.

No comments: