Thursday, July 17, 2008

A fascinating Interview

Yesterday I interviewed with an offshoring company. It was definitely one of the most interesting interviews I've ever had. The position was a Project Manager job. Something I've had 4 years experience with. From an experience point of view, I had everything they were looking for and more. What i was lacking was the official certification. I've been preparing for the certification exam, but the book (PMBOK) is a difficult one to get through on your own. It's a rather dry textbook and would be much more enjoyable as a companion book to a class or a lecture.

My interviewer was very learned on the topic. He asked brilliant questions about project management, listened patiently to my answers, and then recapped my answers but added all the appropriate terminology from PMBOK. I was enraptured. Listening to him talk was like listending to PMBOK speaking. And it was way more interesting that reading the book.

After the interview with him I met with the girl that I would be taking over for. She was able to give me all the information I needed first hand because this was the job that she had been doing herself for the last few months.

I was impressed. And I could tell they were impressed too. Sure enough, the offer came the next day. I spent the whole weekend discussing with the family and finally had to turn them down on account of the distance - I would be spending 1.5 hours at least on the road daily. And the odd hours - lots of nightime calls etc. Tough to do with a toddler and a husband with a stressful job.

It sure felt good to get the offer though!

No comments: